Thursday 16 November 2017

Dang it.

Dang it, 

Its my Last stop in a 6 year journey to  get my Bachelors degree and my professors have been on strike for a month. Now I'm a big supporter of the strike and I think that the people in charge of the Ontario Colleges are a bunch of weenies. I should be writing my thesis but instead I'm setting deeper and deeper into madness.... Sigmond Freud would say that the creative thought is madness (not that I've every read any of that but teachers love to quote him), Hmmm... so much is explained. but I kind of like it. Living day to day not knowing wether I'll be in class tomorrow or not. Basically I've been in the studio eating up our Tech's budget and watching moving on the projector at night. 




32bowls, Korean, British Museum

Dishes, Shipwrecked, egina Krahl, John Guy, J. Keith Wilson, Julian Raby. p.100

I really Like making these small dishes. Conceptually they make me contemplate what the heck im doing with my time. The first picture I took at the British Museum 2 yeas ago and I'd be darned if I could find a better sitation for it... dang it. and the second it Tang Dynasty Chinese found on a Persian shipwreck. Transportation of ceramics and the cultural exchange is so cool. My original thesis was suppose to be about "Flow" but the more I do read about it the less I seem to care. Ceramics as a vehicle for cultural exchange is so freakin cool. 
                                   

                                      

                                      




Chinese Ceramics, Nigel Wood, Royal Ontario Museum, p.146

This pot is beautiful in its own right, but thats not why I love it so much. If you read the description you'll see that the person who decorated it stopped before they were finished. Not sure if this has been mentioned or not but I love when I see an unfinished work that made it through the kilns. I can only imagine the maker said "F" this shit I'm going home. put the thing on the shelf and said good night. Its so hard to imagine something like that happening in Canada today...and if it was done intentionally its not really truthful to the spirit of the concept. It has to be done on intentionally. The more I look at the works that I love the more I think, was this done for expedience reasons rather than aesthetic. If you've got a job to do and your not making much for your skills what 

No comments:

Post a Comment