Wednesday 20 December 2017

Mug shot.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7Fa1B7cAGE

I'm beat and ready for a holiday. Last week we loaded and fired Scarlet our beloved wood kiln. I really like ceremony and I'm convinced that its required for a good firing. I always go to the wood kiln before, say a few words while I remember how the kiln fires and the sweet spots that will suit the pots. I think this is the best firing yet that I've led, we made ^10 in 18 hours and held there for a further 5 to really soak that temperature and drop ^11. The pots left with awesome colour development and lots of ash ion the first 1/4 of the shelf nearest the firebox.


It was Proper Cold loading Scarlet

Our kiln log


The door might just be the most beautiful thing I've seen in a while

My pots and the way I think about them.

Then again because I'm gluten for a punishment we loaded our first Salt Kiln of the year since its re build. Salty fired like a dime and I began to remember how to make it work. My biggest stress is now we have a temperature reading to tell us where we are. I got so annoyed because it was so easy and addicting to look at the temperature. I use to be able to fire that kiln by Sight, sound and smell and could accurately tell you where we were in a firing and what needed to happen. Now a computer is telling me if what I'm doing is working or not. bah humbug  Next time I'm going to cover that up because computers break and if I'm more focused on the numbers presented to me then I feel like I can't trust myself to make a decision based on the knowledge that I've worked so hard to Understand.
ah dang
Frack Ya! Salties Back

are pots about People



No comments:

Post a Comment